Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cancer cont.

Yes, it was in February of this year that I felt some discomfort in my pelvic area, not pain but considerable discomfort. It was less discomfort then the one I had when my kidney started playing up some years before. But enough discomfort to see my doctor. A blood test revealed that PSA, the tumor marker for prostate cancer, was higher than it should have been. MRI scan confirmed and the eventual biopsy made it quite clear that there was a neoplasm in place. I was advised to do nothing about it, but wait for another 6 months for another test to see by how much the illness had advanced. This is called the "watchful waiting" period.
However, I am a "doer" and my mind is not at all designed to watchfully wait. Also this advice didn't make sense to me; I was certain that I could and should do something to help my body to overcome this challenge. But what? My general practitioner couldn't give me any useful advice, nor did the oncologist.
Because of my professional training I know of all the psychotherapeutic tools that I could use and I did and still do use them with great determination. Even though I know the strength of my mind power I felt the need to do more.
I cam across the book by Dr. Aaron Katz / Prostate Health, which helped with advice on diet and supplements. And I found it quite useful. But then I found Dr. David Servan-Schreiber / Anti Cancer a New Way of Life, which was a real eye opener for me.  I recommend it as an absolute "must read" for everyone who has cancer; and I recommend it as a "need to read" for everyone who has an interest in the subject matter.
More about it probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment