Friday, August 20, 2010

Powerful Communication / Words

People who know me also know that I am not a religious person; far from it; indeed I am agnostic. However, John 1:1 "In the beginning was the word" is stuck in my mind forever. Why and how I found it is a long story and really irrelevant. But when I first read it - many years ago - I said to myself that this cannot be right. Surely there has to be thought first in order to formulate a word. But how is the thought produced? How can we think if we cannot use words? We know that most of the time we think in images, but not always. Sometimes verbal thinking is necessary. In this case words produce the thoughts, or do they?  I was wrecking my brain over this chicken or egg question and didn't find the answer. There is only one quite simple part-answer to it: words produce thought, and thought produces words; a very typical bidirectional effect. Whereby of course the original question what came first remains unanswered.
Suffice to say that for our purpose - to change our interpretation of an experience - we use words to change our thought processes. It follows that by changing the interpretation we change also our feeling towards the experience. This works all the time and without exception, provided you practice doing it.
Let us take my previous example of the secretary and the boss, and I wrote that she should say STOP! THINK! EVALUATE! which undoubtedly are words. The first one made her stop, and the other ones made her think and evaluate in all likelihood also verbally. Then she would say to herself what to do in order to get the best possible result from this situation.
She could also enhance the feelings she wants to create by using words such as whatever he says, I am in control; or he is a funny man and makes me laugh; or whatever she needs to say to change the original feeling of perhaps awkwardness to something more useful for her.
You find more examples for using words and how to use them to change feelings in Happiness Discovered.
Until soon.
Download it in PDF at U.S. $19.95 go to http://happinessdiscovered.110mb.com/
 Buy the book at U.S. $ 24.95 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451578784
or from Create Space at U.S. $24.95: https://www.createspace.com/3443453
For e-readers (EPUB etc) at U.S.$ 19.95: www.smashwords.com/books/view/20529
Now also available from www.amazon.co.uk and www.amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment